comfort salad*kind of* healthy *kind of* not healthy
Ok, so you may be reading this and thinking–no, these two words do not belong together. And normally I would agree with you, but this is the exception to the rule. Bonus–it’s absurdly easy to make and addictively delicious–thank goodness, because I screwed up shooting this and had to make it no less than 5 times (my neighbors, family and friends were thrilled with my boneheaded-ness). Needless to say, it was thoroughly and aggressively tested for it’s ease and tastiness and it passed with flying colors.
This is for the night you feel like being *kind of* healthy *kind of* not healthy–equal parts good and bad things, AKA balance. Without further ado…
- 2 packages of Ramen noodles (I went with beef)
- Just ONE of the spice packets from the ramen noodles
- 1 bag of broccoli slaw
- ½ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup sesame oil
- ¼ cup vegetable oil (or any light oil of your choosing)
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- ¼ cup toasted almonds
- ⅛ cup sunflower seeds
- 3-4 tablespoons Sweet Viking™ Relish
- Lets start with the dressing: in a bowl, combine white sugar, oils, ONE ramen spice packet, vinegar and Sweet Viking™ Relish and mix well. (pro tip–you can make the dressing in the bottom of a big bowl and then pour your other ingredients in after for less cleanup)
- Here’s the fun part–take the ramen noodles and smash them to smithereens–I mean really take your aggressions out on these noodles (they don’t have feelings, its ok) until they’re smashed into small chunks. Don’t smash them into ramen noodle dust–buf if you do, it’s ok, they’re like 10¢ each so grab some more. Combine the rest of the ingredients: broccoli slaw, toasted almonds*, sunflower seeds and toss with the dressing.
- Put in fridge for about an hour so the noodles can soften in the dressing and they can all soak up all the fabulous flavors–the perfect mix of savory, sweet and spicy. A trifecta of delicious if you will.
- ENJOY! If you want, you can add a protein like chicken or ahi tuna on top. Your call.